Re: [BKARTS] Publishing program

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some help: I'm looking for a publishing program that will allow me to do page layouts for miniature books. I've tried Word and found it useless, WordPerfect was better but still involved lots of fiddling and creating textblocks to turn upside down, etc. I managed to get Word Publisher to create quarter page spreads using the "card wizard" but this is not nearly as small as I want to go.

Is there a program out that the will allow me to set a page size, and then create "logical pages"? Or are there ways of using the programs I have that I haven't figured out??

*****************

In-Design, PageMaker, Quark and FrameMaker will probably work. But, they are expensive and there is a very steep learning curve on how to use them. I suggest that you consider LaTex using the Octavo package, which is described as follows:

   The octavo class is a modification of the standard LaTeX book class.
   Its purpose is to typeset books following classical design and
   layout principles, with the express intention of encouraging the
   making of beautiful books by anyone with access to a good printer
   and with an inclination towards venerable crafts, in casu, bookbinding.

   The octavo class differs from the book class by implementing many of
   the proposals and insights of especially Jan Tschichold and Hugh
   Williamson.

   In particular, the class implements classical formats (foolscap,
   crown, post, largepost, demy, medium, royal, superroyal and
   imperial), a harmonious definition of margins (following the studies
   by Tschichold and Rosarivo), and attempts to maintain a uniform grid
   of printed lines across the entire text. The main page style is
   modified to a more discrete form (following Hugh Williamson).

The software is all open source. The best place to start is http://www.ctan.org/ and http://www.tug.org/

You will need two things. First, an editor. I suggest TexMaker <http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/index.html>, TexNicCenter <http://sourceforge.net/projects/texniccenter/> or LaTeXEditor <http://www.latexeditor.org/>

Second, you will need a distribution of LaTex. I suggest TexLive <http://www.tug.org/texlive/> or MikTex <http://sourceforge.net/projects/miktex/>. Octavo is part of the standard MikTex distribution. This is a huge set of files.

While you don't have to have it, I recommend that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.+ because it is the easiest way to display and print your results.

With some effort, this should give you the results you are looking for.

Best wishes,

Gary Hoffman