Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 27 Jan 2006 to 28 Jan 2006 (#2006-29)

Hi Gary--
The AAUP production managers have voiced their preference for InDesign within the last year. It's a great program. Not hard to learn at all--there are tutorials & the book is actually helpful.
Quark is phasing out of the race b/c they haven't updated their program since OSX was created. The functions are all the same. Nothing new is created. I understand that InDesign is expensive. But, if you have a mac, i support sharing programs. My thought is if steve jobs didn't want independent (not corporations) to share programs, he would have made it impossible. Quark now only let's you use your password for one install at a time. You have to call india each time you reinstall. InDesign has full support from Adobe. But, also, there are always third party programs that do the same stuff as the big- guys & cost much less. I know that macworld.com & other mac mags have these programs listed & reviewed from time to time. I would do a search on their reviews if you don't want to spend the big bucks for InDesign. I wouldn't if I didn't have people to share programs w/.
let me know if you have any questions!!
fl

Felice E. Lau
Felix Press