Re: [BKARTS] PVA

On Feb 3, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Patten Books wrote:

I use cheap PVA from Lowes ($11/gallon) for making slipcases. I can't see that I need any particular flexibility in slipcases. What do you people who know more than me think? False economy?

One of the things that was stated in the 1970's GBW report on adhesives is that some PVA's and commercial mixtures will turn brown upon aging. I have seen that with some of my samples, as well as on books that were bound by another binder. Therefore, some adhesives could cause a discoloration of paper, especially white papers for endsheets; it may not be a problem with cloth.
Again, only time will tell.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695