c. 734-323-0663
felixpress2@xxxxxxxxx
www-personal.umich.edu/~felice

On Feb 3, 2006, at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

Date:    Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:48:13 -0500
From:    Paul T Werner <paul.werner@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wheat and homeland security

The artist Xu Bing was trying to get some white powder through
Security - it was powder he'd collected from the site of the World
Trade Center and he intended it for a project somewhere. So he molded
it into a little doll which he gave to his daughter to carry. Once he
got to his destination both the powder and the narrative of the powder
turning into an immigrant girl's doll and back again became part of his
art work.

Paul T Werner, New York

"Museum, Inc.: Inside the Global Art World." University of Chicago /
Prickly Paradigm Press
http://museuminc.net