Re: [BKARTS] PVA response from "Elmer's"

On Feb 7, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Bruce Levy forwarded the following:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Elmer's products.

A pH value can only be measured for an aqueous solution so once the water evaporates a pH isn't measurable. If you were to reconstitute a dried Glue-All film with water after the original water had evaporated, the ensuing liquid would still be acidic, making it still unusable for archival purposes. I hope you find this information helpful and look forward to serving you as a satisfied customer in the future.
I am glad to read this statement and hope that other more knowledgeable people, specifically chemists, will attest to its content. I have always wondered how anyone, specifically manufacturers and suppliers, could say that a dry, non-absorbent material was "acid-free"? As far as I know, one cannot measure the pH of a plastic film, such as Mylar (or Melinex), or any other plastic and say that it is acid-free.
And, as Elmer says, you would have to reconstitute the adhesive with water to measure the pH, so how can, for example, a pressure sensitive tape be "acid-free" when it doesn't even contain water. As we have heard many times before, we need to be aware of the marketing strategies of manufacturers.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020