[BKARTS] Regarding translucent paper choices and, while I'm at it, adhesives

Greetings, oh informative and useful list,

The information flying about regarding PVAs and cows and bulls are all of
greaqt use ... thanks to all.

I am in need of some advice, however, on paper.

I have a book that I am currently producing with which I ran into a little
bit of trouble with.

My first version was printed on  Bienfang 360 graphics rag paper (a
translucent cotton 'marker' paper) single sided with a laser printer. It's
around 750 pages long, 11x14 inches, and perfectbound with Weldbond (my
first venturing into perfect binding alternatives).

Long story, short version, a few pages have fallen out and, considering the
time it took for that to happen, I think I need to rethink the mechanics of
the piece.

A mitigating factor ... the paper came in pads, and in the midst of it I
became very unhappy with stripping the sheets out of the pads (the only
stuff I could find at the time) as the adhesive used by the manufacturer was
definitely better than the adhesive I've been using ... and around 10% of
the sheets were greenish. Second mitigating factor, in the meantime I moved
and the mover seems to have dropped the printer, or something, and it now
crumples every third to fourth sheet, and I don't think it makes sense to
get the printer serviced -- I'd rather print the book on my inkjet (an Epson
2200).

The ultimate mitigating factor is that the first version of the book has
already been sold, so I need to replace the one they have in fairly short
order.

So, the questions are as follows ... I need to get a new paper stock that
prints well with pigment-based inkjet inks -- if necessary, Icould also use
my old printer, which is dyebased (it's a completely text based piece, with
very low ink coverage .... maybe 20 words at 10 point per sheet maximum --
as long as the text is fairly crisp I'll be happy). It has to be fairly
translucent (the text currently bleeds through about 4 to 5 pages, which is
the effect I am looking for) and, of course, fairly inexpensive. Either
rollbased or cut sheet would do.

It also has to be perfect-bindable (and here is where a combined "use this
paper and this adhesive" sort of response would be ideal).

So, any kind soul with words of wisdom? (I'd even take advice from a sole,
but I use fish glue in some wood-based projects, so I can understand why
sole's would be unwilling to help out).

Thanks, all,

Michael Maranda
Toronto

--

... recently  released: "On Collecting," a catalogue from the University of
Lethbridge Art Gallery which includes an essay by Nancy Tousley on the

http://www.michaelmaranda.com