Re: [BKARTS] PVA & Elsie the Cow

Octavia & Co. Press wrote:

What ever happened to Elsie the Cow? Did she actually become what she
represented on Elmer's product labels? (Glue).

I believe that Elmer's Glue-All was originally a casein glue, a milk product, but I am not getting a definitive answer as I try to track that down. Since it was originally marketed as Cascorez, I would guess that the main ingredient was casein. Here are a couple of interesting items:

http://www.wackyuses.com/wf_elmers.html

In 1929, the Borden Co. purchased the Casein Co. of America, the leading manufacturer of glues made from casein, a milk by-product. Borden introduced its first non-food consumer product, Casco Glue, in 1932. After World War II, Borden expanded into synthetic resin glues which did not use casein.

The product known today as Elmer's Glue-All was first introduced in 1947 under the brand name Cascorez, packaged in two-ounce glass jars with wooden applicators. Sales did not take off until 1951 when Elsie's husband, Elmer, was chosen as the marketing symbol. In 1952, Borden repackaged Glue-All into the familiar plastic squeeze bottle with the orange applicator top.

<http://www.scripophily.net/boconewje191.html>
Borden Milk Company - New Jersey (Elsie the Cow was the mascot) 1960

Elsie the Cow, a brown Jersey cow, was the mascot for the Borden Company who appeared during THE BORDEN SHOW on NBC in 1947. After the Borden Company began an ad campaign featuring their logo of Elsie the Cow in 1938, they needed a real cow to be their representative and so they recruited a bovine named "You'll Do Lobelia" (born at the Elm Hill Farms in Brookfield, Massachusetts in 1932). In 1940, Elsie got a partner, a husband named Elmer. Both Elsie and Elmer (the mascot for Elmer's Glue) have appeared in print, and media advertisements since the 1930s. Elsie the Cow beat out actor Van Johnson and U.S. Sen. Robert Taft in a 1952 recognition poll surveying America's most familiar faces. In the 1990s, after 15 years in retirement, Elsie was resurrected for an animated TV ad campaign.

--
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/