Re: [BKARTS] Beginner Question: Are there tools or techniques for cutting cloth ?

Alrighty, let's see what we can do.

Once again, I'm looking for tools or techniques to compensate for lack of bookbinding ability.

If the cloth isn't sized cutting really narrow strips cleanly can be trying. Take a look at <http://www.philobiblon.com/upload/>. What works best are really sharp blades, preferably curved, or use a cutting wheel. A boardshear also works. I know my Kutrimmer does fairly well with muslin.

For the paperbacks, especially if they're small you might also consider using Tyvek (Much easier to cut.) instead of the muslin, or relying on the wrapper. I assume you're just doing a straight adhesive binding. If double-fanning there should be no problems.

p.

I'm making paperbacks, and for each book I use two strips of muslin cloth, widths 1/2" and 10/8" . I'm having trouble cutting these strips of cloth. Is there a special scissors, or a technique, that can cut cloth efficiently?

Michael Pastore, Editorial Director
Zorba Press  |  http://www.ZorbaPress.com

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC