Re: [BKARTS] Plustek OpticBook 3600 review

Sadly, I have to report that low-end HP scanners have some of the same issues. I have one decorating my desk that despite several 'experts' doing their best at changing my software, adding patches, removing patches and diddling with other 'competing programs' has never scanned a single image....

>>> circe@xxxxxxxxxxx 02/10/06 9:30 AM >>>
As you may have guessed, I bought a Plustek OpticBook 3600 scanner
yesterday and had to jump through hoops to get it working.

Let's get the bad news over with first. If you're running Windows XP
with SP2 (or if you don't know which version you have but keep your
software automatically updated), there is a patch at Plustek's Drivers
site. Swear it didn't appear there until I e-mailed their Tech Support
but in any case it's there now. The software won't run without it. It
comes with an outdated version of ABBYY Fine Reader (v.5) (v.8 is the
current one) but still works as well as can be expected for an OCR
program. Plustek's web site isn't any great help and there is even
less packaged with the scanner.

Now for the goods parts. I liked the indentations at either end of the
case for easier manipulation. Cover hinges are metal, not plastic with
metal rods below for scanning thick items. Buttons are a good size -
saves hunting for reading glasses. (-: One excellent feature is a
reversible  pull-out mat under the cover; black on one side and white
on the other. Saves putting a piece of white paper over dark objects
to be scanned.

Software is average and easy to use. The book scanning program is
excellent and will make life so much easier. It does delete a bit less
than 1/4" from the inside of the page but that's to be expected.

The scanner takes a long time to warm up. Didn't time it but am sure
it's much longer than my old Agfa clunker but only needs to be warmed
up once, instead of before every scan like my old one. Scanning is
lightning quick even at high (600 dpi) resolutions.

Would I buy it again? For book scanning, yes, definitely. For anything
else, no, I'd probably go with a low-end HP scanner.

If you're considering buying the OpticBook and there's anything I
haven't mentioned, don't hesitate to contact me off list.

Helen