Re: [BKARTS] Rice Starch Paste

Jet,
I too use rice starch and it makes the smoothest paste I have ever used BUT I certainly can't keep it more than a week without it going bad by growing yeast. I even use Thymol in it to make sure it doesn't go moldy but it certainly turns to alcohol quickly. How do you keep it a few months?
Dave

J. J. Foncannon wrote:
Should be simple.  I mix starch in COLD water, 1 part starch, 5 parts water.  Mix thoroughly.  Put in the microwave,
cook, stirring occasionally, till thick.  Seems to work no matter what sort of starch I use.    I then mix 1-1 with
PVAC, processing in a blender till smooth.  I mix up enough to last 4-6 months.
Jet

Mary Yordy wrote:
In the lab where I work, we use wheat starch paste, but at home I have been
trying Belgian rice starch paste.  I have made good, working consistency
pastes with this in a double boiler after soaking the mixture for a while,
but proportions were a bit of a mystery, and I often had to cook it quite a
while to get the consistency I wanted.   A couple of weeks ago, I made the
best paste ever by pouring a slurry made of 1/8 cup poured into just
boiling water.  Almost immediately I had wonderful, clear, slightly thick
paste.  However, when I tried to repeat this, it did not have the same
wonderful result.  The slurry didn't disperse well.   Rather hard fragments
formed, almost like wax in water.  I managed to get something I could use
out of it with some work, but I wonder what was different.  I'm sure the
proportions weren't, but timing and temperature may have varied.  Any
thoughts or directions?

-- Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4 (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca