Re: [BKARTS] Here's a doozie!

I think it's in the other way, or vice versa? Hope this helps...!

Thanks!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul T Werner" <paul.werner@xxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 2:46 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Here's a doozie!

Anybody wanna try anwering this one?
Paul T Werner, New York

Subject: interpreting AN "Declarations des imprimeurs" [query]

I'm hoping list members might be able to help me interpret the
length and print-runs of 19th C books listed in the Archives
Nationales' "Declarations des imprimerus, releve des tirages
indiques a la Direction de la Librairie."

* When a given title in Format 8 has 25 Feuilles and 6000
Exemplaires, does that indicate 6000 copies of 200 octovo pages, or
rather of 400 double sided pages?

* The same title has a later entry: Format 8; Volumes 1; Feuilles
1/4. How should I interpret the category "Volumes" here, perhaps a
bulk measurement of a certain number of Feuilles (i.e 50, 100)? Am
I dealing with a 2 or 4 page publication that shares the book's
title and format: a publisher's prospectus or frontispieces and
tables of contents printed after installments were completed?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Jillian Lerner
PhD Candidate, Department of Art History
Columbia University
jct26@xxxxxxxxxxxx