Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 17 Feb 2006 to 18 Feb 2006 (#2006-50)

1. Rice Starch Paste and antifungicides

Seven Helpful Hints for Use in Paper Conservation
 Cathleen A. Baker
at  http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v03/bp03-01.html

says

"Therefore an easy way of storing a starch paste for long periods of time could be very useful. Keiko Keyes introduced me to the idea of storing the paste in a container in which the fungicide is stored in a pad of cotton wool underneath the lid of the container. The fungicide then slowly volatilizes over the paste keeping it sterilized. This eliminates the necessity of putting a fungicide directly in the paste. She recommended the fungicide thymol dissolved in ethanol. We have used this system quite successfully for a number of years and have kept paste for several months.

When problems concerning thymol as a possible carcinogen began to be voiced, we tried another fungicide, ortho-phenyl phenol. etc "

So either buy commercial paste or make fresh paste every few days or add fungicide to make it keep

Another fungicide called Nipagin A or Ethylparaben is used in food for fruit fly larvae used in biological experiments as a 10% solution in water. Also Nipagin M or Methylaparaben is used in cosmetics.Maybe this could bear investigation. as an additive. They woould have to be less toxic than thymol.

Adrienne Allen