Re: [BKARTS] More Fixor

Dear James:
 	Good too hear from you. After our first talks--- in which you so generously gave me the info I needed to edge gild
successfully--- I've investigated many sizes.  I use them not for gold tooling, which I haven't yet seriously
investigated, but for edge gilding using the traditional gilding machine, courtesy of Harcourt Binders.  I think I
contacted you about the silicone wheel on the edge gilder giving out, essentially, swelling so that it would no longer
stay on the apparatus.  Turns out that I was running the gilder too hot, about 360 degrees.  Sam Ellenport diagnosed the
problem.  I got a new silicone wheel and now keep the binder at 315 degrees.  No problems have arisen.
	Although some sizes seem to work better than others, the real determinant of the success of edge gilding has to do with
the paper.  I had an interesting conversation with a sales rep at a Chemical Company.  I was purchasing some magnesium
carbonate and other supplies from them, and I talked to him about the problems of edge gilding.  "I'll bet you've found
that the whiter the paper is, the more trouble you have in gilding it."  Very astute observation, born out by my
experience.  The man's background was as a paper chemist.  The whiter the paper, the more junk they put into it.
Best wishes, and I always enjoy your posting to the group,
Jet

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

	The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.
The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.