Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 17 Feb 2006 to 18 Feb 2006 (#2006-50)

Hi Adrienne,
Thanks for the tip. I talked to my chemist today and she agreed that using a thymol tincture on a pad in the lid is probably a good idea BUT in addition to the thymol in solution. Her sources indicate that the thymol scare was overblown and that she still dispenses it for fungal infections in fingernails and toenails and her literature doesn't even mention the C word.
She was very concerned, however when I mentioned "Phenol" to her since she says it has red flags all over it stating warnings about cancer causing etc. We didn't get into the other ones you mentioned but thought we would try the double whammy with the thymol before worrying about them.
BTW thymol is used in cold remedies in Norway, even in Vicks Vapour Rub there although it has been removed from that product in Canada a few years ago.
Dave

Adrienne Allen wrote:

1. Rice Starch Paste and antifungicides

Seven Helpful Hints for Use in Paper Conservation
 Cathleen A. Baker
at  http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v03/bp03-01.html

says

"Therefore an easy way of storing a starch paste for long periods of time could be very useful. Keiko Keyes introduced me to the idea of storing the paste in a container in which the fungicide is stored in a pad of cotton wool underneath the lid of the container. The fungicide then slowly volatilizes over the paste keeping it sterilized. This eliminates the necessity of putting a fungicide directly in the paste. She recommended the fungicide thymol dissolved in ethanol. We have used this system quite successfully for a number of years and have kept paste for several months.

When problems concerning thymol as a possible carcinogen began to be voiced, we tried another fungicide, ortho-phenyl phenol. etc "

So either buy commercial paste or make fresh paste every few days or add fungicide to make it keep

Another fungicide called Nipagin A or Ethylparaben is used in food for fruit fly larvae used in biological experiments as a 10% solution in water. Also Nipagin M or Methylaparaben is used in cosmetics.Maybe this could bear investigation. as an additive. They woould have to be less toxic than thymol.

Adrienne Allen

-- Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4 (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca