Re: [BKARTS] Paper grain lesson needed

Mary Taylor wrote:

This is so basic I'm moderately red faced asking the question. But I'd
love to learn a few good techniques for testing paper grain. I tend to use
mixtures of papers in my books and end up fighting with the paper because I've neglected to understand the grain.

Do any of you have some tried and true idiot proof techniques?

Grain in paper is the direction in which the fibers line up during the manufacturing process. It is easier to fold, bend, or bind the paper with the grain, i.e. along the direction of the fibers.
Commercial papers (including laser papers) are generally cut so that the larger dimension is "grain long".

[Paraphrased from International Paper "Pocket Pal".]