Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 20 Feb 2006 to 21 Feb 2006 (#2006-53)

Subject: Paper grain lesson needed
This is so basic I'm moderately red faced asking the question. But I'd
love to learn a few good techniques for testing paper grain. I tend to use
mixtures of papers in my books and end up fighting with the paper because
I've neglected to understand the grain.
Do any of you have some tried and true idiot proof techniques?

I found an explanation on a paper manufacturer's site

When you buy paper the size is quoted with the grain first so if paper is 10 x 15, it is short grained and the grain is on the short side.

For a quick decision I hold the edges of the paper in two hands, close my eyes and bend it. This helps me concentrate on what my hamds are feeling. The orientation which bends more easily is the grain. The lines on laid paper are also indicative of grain.

Adrienne Allen