Re: [BKARTS] Paper grain lesson needed

On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Dolores Guffey wrote:

When I get a large piece of binder board I determine the grain and then with a pencil draw parallel lines down the board (the same direction as the grain) about an inch apart across the whole piece. The smaller the piece, the harder it is to determine grain, this way no matter how small the boards get cut, all I have to do is look for the parallel pencil lines and I know the grain.
I do the same, but I used water-color pencils to indicate the thickness of the board, i.e. yellow is 60 pt. This is a great help ("crutch") for students, but also saves me time when I am looking for the right scrap.
I might also add that I store off-cuts of binder board in a legal-size filing cabinet drawer with dividers for the various thicknesses and grain direction --- another time saver -- "If you can't find what you need in a short time, why save it".

As to determining the grain direction of paper, I feel the most reliable is to lightly mist the paper with water --- the grain direction is parallel to the curl.

Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx