Re: [BKARTS] Xylene transfer

Most people I know use the xylene pens available at
art supply stores - however, I think they've changed
the chemistry in recent years so they don't tend to
work as well. I've found by using either a very fresh
xerox or laser print - ideally less than an hour old,
with wintergreen oil or acetone, works much better.
Wintergreen oil is very difficult to track down, some
pharmacies have it (people used to rub it on aching
joints, I think). Acetone you can usually get at your
local hardware store.

Rub the acetone or oil onto the surface you want to
transfer with a cotton ball or rag - paper towels can
also be used, but they tend to spread too much. You
want the amount of chemical your spreading on your
surface to be like breath on glass. Then lay down your
xerox or laser transfer, and rub fairly hard with a
barren. Wooden spoons work well, too, but you have to
be very careful to get the entire area, or you will
get lines.

You can check by lifting a cornor of the paper how
your transfer is going. Also, when you peel your
transfer away, sometimes there will be strings of
toner that will peel up, so make sure you peel away
very carefully.

Hope this helps!
Michelle

--- Buckley Jeppson <buckley.jeppson@xxxxxxxxxxx>