Re: [BKARTS] Fixor

Great advice.  Thanks again!

Signa

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of J.
J. Foncannon
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 3:24 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fixor

	I've never tried it, but looking at the description on the Bookmaker's
homepage, I would guess that Fixor is shellac
based.  I've tried many many sizings for edge gilding over the years: PVAC
w. ethanol,  methyl cellulose, PVAL with
water, Armenian bole, glaire, and numerous propriety sizes of uknown
composition.
	For me, nothing has worked better than ordinary shellac.  But I make it
myself:  half premixed shellac (get it at the
hardware store) and half ethanol.  Apply after fine-sanding the tightly
vised textblock edge, and rub to a sheen with a
soft cloth.  It has the advantage of drying very quickly and doesn't soak
the textblock edges, which is a distinct
drawback with water based sizes. It is incredibly cheap to make.
Jet

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.
The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he
preferred the one on the back counter.