Re: [BKARTS] Hole punching

On Feb 22, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Helen Scarth wrote:

Has anyone had any success with cordless screwdrivers or drills instead of using an awl?............. Would it be too large for hole drilling? I also wondered how long it would last if used only on paper. Replacement bits, available only in the 1/16" size, would cost approx. $5 (special type) which could possibly become expensive in the long run.

Standard, 1/16" twist drill-bits, the type that are used for wood and metal in a standard drill chuck, cost about $1.00. However, twist drills normally do not work on paper -- they tend to burn a hole in paper. Whereas, standard paper drills are basically hollow tubes with a sharp cutting edge.
You are better to consider a hand-held hole punch, or pay big bucks for a real paper drill, but I don't think you will find a paper drill for a 1/16" hole.
Suggestion: When I needed to make a large number of small (1/16") holes in Mylar (with characteristics similar to paper), I used miniature stainless steel tubing ( .065" OD with a .005" wall is available for about $7 per foot from McMaster-Carr, --- www.mcmaster.com). I cut 1" long pieces and polished the drilling end. When this homemade drill-bit was chucked, it worked quite well. After a time, the tube filled and was discarded.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020