[BKARTS] Taming a Stubborn Spine

Hi to all.
I'm working on an 18th century large folio that has been resewn on sunk cords, the spine having a thin linen lining that is exceedingly well attached. The spine has some uneven concavity to it and needs to be rounded again if I am to do an attractive tightback.
I've attempted softening with paste and have even tried heat, but can't get the spine to change shape. Any suggestions?
Bob Roberts
Maryville TN 37803
(865) 380-5759