Re: [BKARTS] Taming a Stubborn Spine

You'll need to remove any spine lining as a first step.  You can try leaving a fairly heavy paste layer on the spine and check periodically until it's soft enough to remove.  If it won't release in one piece, or if it shreds, re-apply paste and use an altered chisel to rub it off.  You can take a wood chisel and sand/buff the tip until there isn't an edge any longer, but it still retains it's angle. Smooth the edge enough that you feel confident that you won't cut into the paper.  Keep a fairly acute angle on the blade, so it's more like your "pushing" the spine lining down the spine.  Remove pieces as you go along, and work a few inches at a time, re-applying paste as you need to.  Make sure the paste is thick enough to not saturate the text paper.  You're just using it as a poultice to soften the adhesive.  It shoul;d work with almost any early adhesive.