Re: [BKARTS] Taming a Stubborn Spine

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:20 AM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I'd guess the rebinding as mid to late 1880-1920. The remaining adhesive is a light brown, very thin, with the cloth lining also very thin. No color change with paste application.

I have heard to some people have used enzymes to clean spines. I am not sure who has done that, but maybe someone on this List has more information?
I guess I would try "Protease" (since the adhesive is most likely an animal glue), but the enzyme must be used in a controlled temperature environment. I believe that the enzyme was mixed with methyl cellulose and warmed with either a medical "slide tray warmer", or possibly the new gel-packs that can be micro-waved. Sorry I do not have more information. There may be something on the ConsDist List?
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020