Re: [BKARTS] Drilling Paper

On Feb 24, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Mary Yordy wrote:

I would like to try the tubing idea, but am I understanding it
correctly? A drill chuck will receive the unpolished end of the 1" pieces,
so you can use it like a drill bit? How much polishing does it take?
I am glad that you like the idea: Upon cutting the tubing with a fine jeweler's saw, the resulting edge will be rough. While the rough tube may work "as is", I think it works better with some refinement. The one rough end can be inserted into a drill chuck; then the cutting end should be polished or honed to a smooth, sharp edge. If I remember correctly, we used a very fine emery paper (600 grit) on the very end, and on the outer-circumference to remove any burrs. We then used a Dremel with a fine, pointed stone to sharpen the inner-circumference similar to that a standard paper drill -- it doesn't take much polishing/sharpening since the stainless tube is already quite thin.
Good Luck -- let me know if it works for you?
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020