Re: [BKARTS] Format Change

Roberta,
Nothing has changed on this list. The original posters email address is still in the message header. For example, your post just now shows Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> as the sender and Roberta Lavadour <paper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> as the person the message is from.

How the header information from a listserv posting is displayed may also depend on your email software. I see who the original poster is.

By default, the postings are set to reply to the list to keep discussions going, but I agree, there are times we want to reply only to the original poster.

Email addresses are blocked out in the list archive to prevent harvesting by spammers...

Signature files are a great idea, and I really encourage the use of our real names. While we may not have that much choice in terms of the email address itself, let's sign our messages appropriately.

p. (full name in message header and sig file)

I've noticed that this listserv and the Yahoo groups have changed in how
they handle the email addresses of those who post messages. In the past, one
could hit "reply" and find the email address of the original sender. Now,
one sees only the listserv address and user name. This is great, I'm sure,
in cutting down on the email addresses that spammers are able to harvest
from groups like ours and allows people to protect themselves from off-list
flames, etc. All in all, a great change.

The down-side is that it puts the breaks on off-list contacts that used to
occur between list members - people could respond to posts privately, often
striking up an ongoing correspondence (that's how I "met" some of the people
now in our artist's co-op.)  On-list replies are preferable when talking
shop, but are not always appropriate for small talk.

I'd like to recommend that list members who are open to contact add their
email address somewhere in their signature file. If you're concerned about
spam, you can use the format shown below.

all the best,
Roberta

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC