[BKARTS] Study opportunity in Middletown, CT

Book_Arts-L readers in the region may be interested in
this study opportunity this spring in Middletown,
Connecticut, offered by Robin Price, Printer and
Publisher, via Wesleyan University's Center for
Continuing Studies.  It's described thusly:

Letterpress Printing for Artists' Books

Saturday, April 1 & April 8: 10 AM-3 PM; Saturday,
April 22: 10 AM-Noon

Participants in this course will make a collaborative
artists' book using letterpress printing. We will
begin by exploring how artists make books by hand and
incorporate letterpress printing technology. We will
examine and discuss artists' books in the instructor's
collection, focusing on how they are made, and on the
qualities that make them artists' books. We will use
the Surrealist game "Exquisite Corpse" will determine
the text for our collaborative book. Students will
learn hand type composition, letterpress printing,
monoprinting, and hand bookbinding. We will briefly
discuss the history of these processes as we engage
them. Our collaboration will produce a limited edition
book of which each student will keep two copies.

There's more information at
http://www.wesleyan.edu/ccst, under Spring 2006
courses.

Right in my neighborhood, but I will be out of town
one of those weekends, alas!

--Carolyn Coates