[BKARTS] Determining a correct cover size

Hello,

I have what is probably common knowledge question:

How do I determine the exact correct size for my book covers? I have gone to several binderies only to find that they made the covers incorrectly and the spine, joints or boards did not fit my rounded sewn or adhesive bound block as snugly as I wanted.

Separately, could someone recommend a few books on the basics of book binding so that I can learn more about it and not be in such silly positions?

Thank you very much in advance

Meliva