[BKARTS] Nineteen Eighty-Four +

I'm happy to report that I just completed work on the 1949 Secker and Warburg edition of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. You may recall that I posted to Book_Arts-L when I started work on it in 2003, for the 100th anniversary of Eric Arthur Blair's birth (that was his real name). Along the way I made two prototypes and another variation on the 1949 American edition (Harcourt Brace), which was subscribed by the Yale Arts of the Book Collection. You can see all of these at
http://minsky.com/1984.htm

NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR
by George Orwell
Secker & Warburg, London, 1949
First Edition
Binding by Richard Minsky 2006
7¾" x  5" x  2½" + base

Lizard-grained cowhide, white metal foil stamped title and slogan.. LCD monitor embedded in cover with miniature video camera hidden behind leather with 1/8" hole for lens. When you hold the book you see yourself on the screen. The original 1949 binding is preserved within the new one. A power base recharges the battery pack that runs the system when it is off the base. While on the base the screen power is supplied by a separate transformer to enable continuous operation when the book is on display.

Meanwhile, I've been making progress cataloguing my collection of American Decorated Publishers' Bindings, 1872-1929. If you missed the exhibition, it is archived with many photos at
http://minsky.com/amdecpub.htm
Many Book_Arts-L members are subscribers to the illustrated catalog and get the Subscribers' Newsletter, but in case you have not, there are now over 75 identified artists in the checklist, which includes about 450 different covers plus variations. Discount Subscriptions are still available for the Deluxe Edition, with a price increase set for March 15.

You also can subscribe online to the Limited Edition or CD-ROM Edition. All subscriptions include access now to the Subscribers' Website, which has all the illustrated text written to date, the complete checklist with photos of every item, a downloadable current database, and the e-mail updates in the Subscribers' Newsletter. Subscribers also get the first option to purchase duplicates and other books in private sales. Subscription information is at
http://minsky.com/orderform-subscription1.htm

The Bill of Rights edition of ten bookworks is available for exhibition rental as well as purchase. It seems to become more timely every day, though it was conceived and developed before the USA PATRIOT Act was passed. If you are not familiar with it, there are installation photos and many detailed images, as well as articles and reviews from The New York Times, Fine Books & Collections, and more at
http://minsky.com/meiselshow.htm

I am also working on my 2006-2007 lecture and workshop schedule. Please contact me if you are interested in participating.

--
Richard