[BKARTS] How to Create Edible Book Art Part 1 - Los Angeles

In order to help our edible book artists we will be sending out weekly
updates and tips in the month of March on creating an edible book for the  Seventh
Annual International Edible Book High/Low Tea.  The purpose of these updates
is to share  the process we all go through in creating edible book art and to
help those who  are interested in participating.  We  invite book artists,
chefs, book lovers, children and all interested parties to  create an edible book
for this show.  There is no fee to create an edible book or to attend the
show, this is a  chance for us to play and create for the pure joy that goes into
creating and sharing with others.
How To Make An Edible Book
A Call For Entries Or Entrees, Hors d'oeuvres and Desserts
The Los Angeles Book Arts Center invites book artists and book lovers of  all
ages to cook up a literary feast for the Seventh Annual International Edible
Book High/Low Tea. The tea will be held Saturday, April 1, 2006, at Kings
Road  Park, 1000 Kings Road, West Hollywood, from 2:00 P.M. to 4:30 PM.
Week 1 –  Choosing a topic
There are many ways to start the project but one  way to get the creative
juices flowing is to start contemplating various  topics.
What is your favorite book?
What are your favorite types of books? Romance? Biographies? Children's
Literature? Mystery? Adventure? Classic Fiction? Self-help? Inspirational?  School
Text Book?
Who is your favorite author?
Who are your favorite literary characters?
What is your most memorable scene from a book?
What book brings back the fondest memories?
What book had significant impact on your life?
What book made you feel alive?
Once you have developed a concept or book that you are  interested in
exploring, it is now time to contemplate how that will translate  into an edible
book.  The edible  “book” need not look like a traditional book or it can be an
exact  representation of that book.  It can  be your interpretation or it can
have pages, whatever expresses your feelings  about the book.  You can portray
a  concept, a scene, a character, a moment from the book, a revelation, or
anything  else that is significant to you.
Is there one particular scene in the book that would be fun to recreate  in
food?
Is there one striking image that could be created as an art piece?  Remember
all art must be 100% edible.
Is there an abstract way of relaying the feeling of the book in a
3-dimentional form?
What does the book mean to you that could translate into an edible  book?
The most important thing is to have fun with the project.  Remember this is
all about celebrating  books.  There is no competition, no  judging, and no
reason to stress over anything.  Our youngest participant was 5 years old  and if
she can do it so can you.  For inspiration visit our website at
_www.LABookArts.com_ (http://www.labookarts.com/)  , books2eat.com  or
_www.geocities.com/books2eat_ (http://www.geocities.com/books2eat) .  Please discuss the edible
with your friends, family and children you know  to get great ideas on how
important books are to people and how much they enrich  our lives as well as for
great creative inspiration.  Then join us in our celebration of the  book and
all it encompasses as a learning tool, a form of relaxation and  entertainment,
a means for us to express ourselves and a joyous homage to  life.  We look
forward to  celebrating with you on April 1.
There  is no fee to participate in or view this show, but we do need to know
how many  artists will be creating edible art so we have sufficient space set
up for the  work. For more info and to let us know that you will be placing a
piece in the  celebration please contact Lisa Deutsch at 310-657-2616 or
LAGourmet@xxxxxxxx