[BKARTS] "Cotton" vs "wool"

I've got a batch of snow-white cotton wool in the lab that turns bright
pink when in contact with deacidifying solution...

<delurk> It may be different in the book world, but in the fibre world, there is a huge discrepancy in your statement: "cotton" and "wool" are two very diverse creatures. Cotton is a plant fibre, and wool is a protein fibre: they each react quite differently to pH-tinged things like tape. If everything has changed colour in your sample, then you either have cotton or wool, not "cotton wool."

From your description, it sounds like cotton, but I'd qualify that as a guess and not much else without additional data.

Linda

(who spins and knits with both cotton and wool)
<lurk>