Re: [BKARTS] Can acid-free tape bleach acidic paper?

While it's not a totally happy solution, have you thought about laying down a barrier coat and inpainting the discoloured areas? A careful application of a methylcellulose base coat then adding watercolour or carefully dotting on pastel using dental points wouldn't undo the damage but at least might make it exhibitable.
Lee

>>> tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx 03/10/06 2:20 AM >>>
I tried re-acidifying a couple of the hinges, using dilute
glacial acetic acid.  On one of the hinges I removed the paper
backing of the tape; on the other I removed the adhesive and
lightly abraded the paper.

The treatment was not successful.

A little more discussion about this problem, along with a photo
of the print (and the author, at age 6) may be found at:

http://www.nonstarvingartists.com/Columns/jackc/column.2005-07-23.9355880293/col
umnview

Jack

>On Mar 9, 2006, at 8:04 AM, Jack C. Thompson wrote:
>
>> ....  had used an alkaline-buffered tape to hinge the litho to the
>> back mat. The client returned a few months later to complain.  The
>> buffer had migrated through the paper to the background ink and caused
>> severe fading.
(snip)

>I too am aware that some colors will shift when alkalinized, however, I
>had heard and experienced that by RE-acidifying(?) the paper, it will

>Bill Minter

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217