[BKARTS] Essential Liberty

Marc wrote:

>They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little >temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
>Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Ben Franklin was literate. That misquote is not. Even if the quote from that source had been copied correctly, the attribution to Franklin is a supposition denied by Franklin in a letter to his friend David Hume.

You can read my rant on this subject at Gary Frost's website:
http://www.futureofthebook.com/stories/storyReader$605

There you will also see the correct version of the text as originally printed, in a scan from my copy of the 1759 edition.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com

Sent via the WebMail system at minsky.com