Re: [BKARTS] Minsky rant

Fine rant. Excellent point. The internet is no substitute for scholarship.
SRotolo
On Mar 16, 2006, at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:55:12 -0500 From: Richard Minsky <minsky@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Essential Liberty

Marc wrote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little >temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Ben Franklin was literate. That misquote is not. Even if the quote from that source had been copied correctly, the attribution to Franklin is a supposition denied by Franklin in a letter to his friend David Hume.

You can read my rant on this subject at Gary Frost's website:
http://www.futureofthebook.com/stories/storyReader$605

There you will also see the correct version of the text as originally printed, in a scan from my copy of the 1759 edition.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com