Re: [BKARTS] Backing fabric

	This subject has been archived thoroughly on this list;  consult all the previous posts and you should get a good idea
of the various options for covering cloth to make it bookcloth.
	Here is the method I use.  It has proved successful hundreds of times with widely different fabrics.
        1) Iron the cloth
        2)  Apply Heat n Bond Lite (available by the roll from JoAnn's fabrics online) to the material, using a moderate iron.
        3)  Strip off the Heat n Bond backup paper.  (I use this silicone impregnated paper for many things.)
        4)  Iron on a supporting back of archival tissue paper. (Available from an Art supply store, or even a Dollar
Store.  I
have tested the $1 packages of wrapping tissue from Dollar Stores.  Strangely enough,  the tissue is acid free.)
        5)  Trim.
        6)  Turn the fabric over and iron it on the front, preferably steam iron, at the same temperature to get all the
small wrinkles out.  (Not always necessary; depends on the fabric.)
        You now have honest to God bookcloth, a bookcloth that has the right heft and is impervious to glue.  Seems to work
with any fabric.
        There is a shop on Walnut Street in Philadelphia which maintains a scrap bin full of exotic fabrics of 1-2 yards
dimensions, $1 apiece. You probably have a similar store in your area.  A great way to access a world of bookcloth.
Jet

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

	The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.
The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.