[BKARTS] Call for Edible Book Art in Los Angeles

In order to help our edible book artists we will be sending out weekly
updates and tips in the month of March on creating an edible book for the  Seventh
Annual International Edible Book High/Low Tea.  The purpose of these updates
is to share  the process we all go through in creating edible book art and to
help those who  are interested in participating.  We  invite book artists,
chefs, book lovers, children and all interested parties to  create an edible book
for this show.  There is no fee to create an edible book or to attend the
show.
How To Make An Edible Book
A Call For Entries Or Entrees, Hors d'oeuvres and Desserts
The Los Angeles Book Arts Center invites book artists and book lovers of  all
ages to cook up a literary feast for the Seventh Annual International Edible
Book High/Low Tea. The tea will be held Saturday, April 1, 2006 at Kings Road
 Park, 1000 Kings Road, West Hollywood, from 2:00 P.M. to 4:30 PM.  Set up to
begin at 12:00 and run until  1:30, show to begin promptly at 2:00, we will
eat the artwork at 4:00 and begin  clean up at 5:00 PM.
After you have chosen a book, character, scene, concept or idea for your
project, shopped at the market for possible food interpretations it is important
to consider:
Food  Safety
Now is the  time to consider food safety.
Which foods will be safe to eat after sitting out at room temperature for  3
hours?
Which food will be a problem? Melt? Grow Bacteria? Need Heat? Need
Refrigeration?
It is best to avoid foods that will require  special care to remain safe.  We
do  not have facilities to refrigerate or heat food.  So if you simply must
use something that  requires these things please bring whatever is necessary to
keep the food at the  temperature you require i.e.: ice packs, dry ice, some
heating elements,  etc.  Again we request that you  experiment at home to make
sure that food can be kept at the necessary  temperature for at least 4
hours.
Continue with the mock-ups of the project.  Try it out on your family; don’t
forget  that taste is very important.  It is  a challenge to come up with a
project that reflects the book, is 100 % edible  and tastes good.  But that is
the  inspiration that makes that show so enjoyable for everyone.
The most important thing is to have fun with the project.  Remember this is
all about celebrating  books.  There is no competition, no  judging, and no
reason to stress over anything.  Our youngest participant was 5 years old  and if
she can do it so can you.  For inspiration visit our website at
_www.LABookArts.com_ (http://www.labookarts.com/)  or _www.geocities.com/books2eat_
(http://www.geocities.com/books2eat) .  Please discuss the edible with your friends,
family and children you know  to get great ideas on how important books are to
people and how much they enrich  our lives.  Then join us in our  celebration
of the book and all it encompasses as a learning tool, a form of  relaxation
and entertainment, a means for us to express ourselves and a joyous  homage to
life.  We look forward to  celebrating books with you on April 1.
There  is no fee to participate in or view this show, but we do need to know
how many  artists will be creating edible artwork so we have sufficient space
set up for  the work. For more info and to let us know that you will be
placing a piece in  the celebration please contact Lisa Deutsch at 310-657-2616 or
LAGourmet@xxxxxxx