From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Peter D. Verheyen
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:00 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spokeshave mysteries

What do you use to hold  your leather in place. I use a large c-clamp with
a wide piece of wood (ca 1/2" x 6" to hold the leather down.  Though more a
Scharf-fix person, I learned to use a spokeshave from Bill Minter and had
great results with it.

p.

>         I am new to this subject.  I have. a spokeshave, and have never
> had any luck with it.  The leather won't hold still and
>the result is a total mess.  Does anyone know where I can obtain
>instruction in its use?
>         I use the Scharf-fix with great success, anlthough the learning
> curve was rather shallow with this apparatus.  I am
>afraid the spokeshave learning curve is flat, at least, for me.
>Jet

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>