[BKARTS] Dremel vs. Awl Opinions

Hi, all. (No pun intended.)
I've heard some praise the old fashioned awl over a small drill for use in oversewing cloth joints. "A drill will burn a hole...." etc. I've been using a Dremel with very small jeweler's bits and have thought this places a lot less stress on the materials and my hands. True, if one pushes too fast or uses a dull bit, burning is likely. But overall, the Dremel is quick, easy, and seems safer. (It's easy to control, no stress to the materials, and not likely to tear the inner margin if the point pierces suddenly.)
I'd welcome any comments/rebuttals.
Bob Roberts