Re: [BKARTS] font sizes: micrometer, anyone?

On Mar 23, 2006, at 7:44 AM, J. J. Foncannon wrote:

This is one of those situations in bookbinding in which a micrometer is invaluable. I sometimes find fontsize
misrepresented by sellers. Before casing all my typefaces, I recheck the font size by using a micrometer. (1/72 inch =
1 pt.) When I catalog my typefaces, I measure the width of a capital A, and this gives me some idea of how many
characters will fit into an inch.
In addition, a micrometer in invaluable in paring leather, and allows the user to get a much thinner product without
destroying a lot of leather.
I also use it to check the thickness of endpapers, and of ordinary and tissue paper, or when I forget the thickness of
the bookboard I am using and want to reorder.
You can find these wonderful little items of EBAY for a song.
Jet

Penny McElroy wrote:

Hi Jess- I'm sure you'll get a flurry of responses to this one! I've never seen 13 pt. printer's type. I'd suggest trying 12 or 14 pt. in something with a slightly smaller x-height - possibly Bodoni or Garamond? all best Penny Penny McElroy Professor of Art on Sabbatical January - September 2006 University of Redlands