Re: [BKARTS] font sizes

Hi Jessica,

I don't know why your system won't allow you to scale the type.
Pagemaker 6.5 on my last century Macs can do it, so you should be able
to, too. You should also be able to control the tracking, or amount of
intercharacter space, and the kerning; both of which could help both
readability and line fit.

If you're looking at Garamond now you might also check on Caslon, Janson
and Elzevir. While they're all similar, you might find that one of them
looks and fits better for your purposes. A few factors to consider
besides font size are x-height (ratio of height of lowercase x to height
of ascender), the relative character widths (type out two lowercase
alphabets and compare the length of each line; prepare to be surprised),
and color or weight (relative lightness or darkness of the letters).

While it might not be common today, a fair number of metal typefaces
were (and are) available in sizes such as 11, 13, 16 and 30 point.
Another color on the palette,as it were.

One last suggestion: if you don't have a copy, get ahold of Robert
Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style version 3.0. You won't
regret it.

Good luck

Don