From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Peter Krantz
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:28 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: spine former

We acquired a spine former from an old bookbinding workshop.  See pics
at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/lghope/gallery.html

It is a piece of old oak, about a quarter of an inch thick, and rounded
and made smooth along the top.

Used when the spine is completetly dry, and the book is ready to be
cased in.  The spine former is held against the bench by the  weight of
the body. The indented spine part of the case is run back and forth,
from left to right, across the top edge of the spine former, usually at
a very acute angle, until a curve is formed.

A really useful item in the workshop.

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
Sydney