From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
roroberts@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:52 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cambras Spine-former

Signa,
I have a cast iron version of the tool mentioned (and had a wooden version
some years ago. Though learning rounding and backing is necessary, it is an
invaluable tool for restoration in that we're often dealing with spines that
are badly out of shape and that need more "encouragement" to return to
roundness than hands and a hammer can give.
Mine has 5 different arcs in it for small to large books and I find it
especially helpful after cleaning the spine and moistening. I can jog the
spine into the form and can even leave the book in it to set it "sag" back
into shape as the paste hardens.
For large family Bibles I do exactly as Mr. Tapley suggested: I've cut a
larger packing tube in half lengthwise and it works fine. (A series of tubes
of different diameters wouldn't be as "cool retro" as the real thing, but
would be a great addition to a restoration shop.

Bob Roberts

-- Signa Houghteling <judy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think it's a better idea to learnhow to round and back books.