Re: [BKARTS] summer glues

I have just read that this problem of books falling apart in humid conditions, particularly the Islands, could be due to salt not glue. We have a large salt content in the air here as we are right on the Coast; everything rusts very quickly. I wonder if/how these tiny crystals that seem to be on everything effect the paper/glue and cardboard, as some books just seem to be splitting open ?
Jessica