[BKARTS] archival varnish for a book box

Anyone know if it would make a difference, archivally speaking, if one were to use a water-based varnish/stain on a mahogany book box, as opposed to a solvent based one? I previously had a woodworker friend use a water-based finish on a mahogany box meant to hold 20 books (see link below) - but I have a funny (read: guilty?) feeling both finishes are bad-bad-bad (it's in a private collection). Especially since there are acids in the mahogany anyway (right?). Anyone have any suggestion on what to finish the wood with that would be archive-friendly? I didn't find anything on the Book_Arts-L archives...

Thanks very much-

-Scott Teplin

image of box from before:
http://www.teplin.com/manhole/box.jpg