Re: [BKARTS] archival varnish for a book box

Thanks Michael - that actually makes me feel a little better. Best of all, I learned a new word: outgas!
-Scott

On Mar 27, 2006, at 5:40 PM, Michael Andrews wrote:

Hi Scott

I've been using all sorts of hardwoods for 25 years now and there is no satisfactory answer.

I contacted all the manufacturers whose general opinion was that water based products were less volatile. But they had no science to back it up other than best guess. I contacted all the conservatory place like the Getty etc, who also did not know. The problem is that they both outgas, and no one knows what they do to what inks, pigments, papers and cloths. Water base simply outgases less.

Some furniture people were of the opinion that special waxes were best, but from their point of view, best for the wood. They had no opinion on the binding or text block.

So, I settled on stinky old Watco oil, inside and out, to prevent checking and cracks, and because the finish is easily repaired. Then I segregate the binding and text by lining it with lucite.

If I were pushed into a corner and had to put binding, paper or text next to wood, I would go with a water based polyurethane.

sorry, it's all I know

michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Teplin" <teplin@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 1:28 PM Subject: archival varnish for a book box

Anyone know if it would make a difference, archivally speaking, if one were to use a water-based varnish/stain on a mahogany book box, as opposed to a solvent based one? I previously had a woodworker friend use a water-based finish on a mahogany box meant to hold 20 books (see link below) - but I have a funny (read: guilty?) feeling both finishes are bad-bad-bad (it's in a private collection). Especially since there are acids in the mahogany anyway (right?). Anyone have any suggestion on what to finish the wood with that would be archive-friendly? I didn't find anything on the Book_Arts-L archives...

Thanks very much-

-Scott Teplin

image of box from before:
http://www.teplin.com/manhole/box.jpg