Re: [BKARTS] archival varnish for a book box

Though it doesn't address the wood part of your equation, I have been using water-based polyurethane to consolidate and seal paper mache book boxes for years with no ill effect. My experience with painted finishes is that Diamond Finish Varathane is the only one that never yellows, so perhaps it is more stable. (Stable at what pH I do not know). Oil/solvent- based varnishes are changing over a very long period of time--I would not put them next to paper.

Here's another half-new word: You can also say offgas. That's what you're smelling when you take hang up that new shower curtain.

Best of luck,

Rebecca