From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael Andrews
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 2:41 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: archival varnish for a book box

Hi Scott

I've been using all sorts of hardwoods for 25 years now and there is no
satisfactory answer.

I contacted all the manufacturers whose general opinion was that water based
products were less volatile. But they had no science to back it up other
than best guess. I contacted all the conservatory place like the Getty etc,
who also did not know. The problem is that they both outgas, and no one
knows what they do to what inks, pigments, papers and cloths. Water base
simply outgases less.

Some furniture people were of the opinion that special waxes were best, but
from their point of view, best for the wood. They had no opinion on the
binding or text block.

So, I settled on stinky old Watco oil, inside and out, to prevent checking
and cracks, and because the finish is easily repaired. Then I segregate the
binding and text by lining it with lucite.

If I were pushed into a corner and had to put binding, paper or text next to
wood, I would go with a water based polyurethane.

sorry, it's all I know

michael