Re: [BKARTS] archival varnish for a book box

Hi Signa

Shellac is a great choice. It does harden and is less permeable than other choices. The problem is that with any wood, over time, the oils and acids will migrate.
Depending on the wood and the oils and acids, probably with lucite, glass, shellac or water based varathane it will take beyond our lifetime to migrate, but migrate it will.

So, it's another trade off - the beauty of the wood against a dicey archival situation. Mahogany is probably in the middle ground, but it would be best to avoid truly oily woods like rosewood. I never investigated which woods were the least volatile.

At one time I isolated wood veneer inside the text block by making a sandwich using mylar. It's held up pretty well for 25 years, but still it is not something I would pursue again.

It would hear some really positive solution, but not likely.

michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Signa Houghteling" <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>