[BKARTS] Final Call and Instructions for Edible Book Arts Exhibtion in Los Angeles - 4/1

How To Make An Edible Book
A Call For Entries Or Entrees, Hors d'oeuvres and Desserts
The Los Angeles Book Arts Center invites book artists and book lovers of  all
ages to cook up a literary feast for the Seventh Annual International Edible
Book High/Low Tea. The tea will be held Saturday, April 1, 2006, at Kings
Road  Park, 1000 Kings Road, West Hollywood, from 2:00 P.M. to 4:30 PM.  This is
just a few blocks east of La Cienega  and 1/2 a block south of Santa Monica
Blvd.  Plenty of parking is available  at the public lot located at Kings Road
and Santa Monica Blvd.  They allow  for two hours of free parking.
We will begin the set up at  12:30 and continue until 1:30, show to begin
promptly at 2:00, we will  eat the artwork at 4:00 and begin clean up at 5:00 PM.
 Please feel free to contact me at _LAGourmet@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:LAGourmet@xxxxxxx)  or (310) 657-2616 if you have any further questions or  concerns.  We
will have paper  table cloths to place your edible books on but if you need a
special pedestal or  other display materials please bring them.

Final  Preparation

Now that you have chosen the book you  want to reproduce in food, honed in on
the exactly character, scene, concept or  actually book representation, and
visited the market to find fun foods to create  with, it is time to put it all
together.
Just 4 days to finish  up our edible book projects.  Now is  the time to
fine-tune your project.  Is there something that could be spruced up?  Would
another food be the perfect final  touch?  I like to do a “dry run” or  “dress
rehearsal” prior to the final project.  I also do not create the final edible
book until the day before the show or even the day of if it needs to be really
fresh.  Time to get the last  creative touches in order and play in the
kitchen.
The most important thing is to have fun with the project.  Remember this is
all about celebrating  books.  There is no competition, no  judging, and no
reason to stress over anything.  Our youngest participant was 5 years old  and if
she can do it so can you.  For inspiration visit our website at
_www.LABookArts.com_ (http://www.labookarts.com/)  or _www.geocities.com/books2eat_
(http://www.geocities.com/books2eat) .  Please discuss the edible with your friends,
family and children you know  to get great ideas on how important books are to
people and how much they enrich  our lives.  Then join us in our  celebration
of the book and all it encompasses as a learning tool, a form of  relaxation
and entertainment, a means for us to express ourselves and a joyous  homage to
life.  We look forward to  celebrating books, art and food with you on April
1.
There is no fee to participate in or view this show, but we do need to  know
how many artists will be creating edible artwork so we have sufficient  space
set up for the work. For more info and to let us know that you will be
placing a piece in the celebration please contact Lisa Deutsch at 310-657-2616  or
_LAGourmet@xxxxxxxx (mailto:LAGourmet@xxxxxxx) .
ART YOU CAN  EAT!

Seventh Annual Edible-Book Tea Serves Up Food for Thought:
A  Cornucopia of Books to Whet Your Appetite

(Los Angeles, CA) - A banquet  of books will be served up
for the public’s viewing---and feasting---pleasure  at the Los Angeles
Book Arts Center’s Fifth Annual International Edible Book  High/Low Tea
on Saturday, April 1, from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The tea party is  a
celebratory exhibit of books as art---art you can eat because it’s  made
of food instead of paper.

These delightful, delectable works of  art will be on display at the new
Kings Road Park, 1000 Kings Road, West  Hollywood. Between 2 p.m.
and 4:30 p.m., book-,  food-, art- and fun-lovers of all ages are invited to
view this
year’s   entries and entrees, meet the artists, and learn more about book
art.   Kids will also enjoy a special activity where they can make their own
books  to take home with them. At 4 p.m., all of the book art on display
will be  served up with tea and coffee. This event is FREE and open  to the
public.

WHAT’S ON THE MENU?
The Edible Book Tea  combines the creative and culinary talents of many
of the Southland’s  preeminent book artists. This year, local chefs will
also be getting in on  the fun, transforming fantasies of literature
into a feast for the eyes and  palate.

Every type of book---children’s classics, detective  novels,
biographies, and romances---will be sculpted from a smorgasbord  of
foodstuffs. Imagine chocolate shoes whose tongues tell tales.

Or,  baklava books with pages made of filo dough. In past years, artists
have  designed text on mobiles made from fruit roll-ups that looked like
stained  glass and written poetry on growing lettuce, which was

harvested for a  salad. Photographs of these artistic creations from
previous edible-book  events can be viewed at _www.books2eat.com_
(http://www.books2eat.com/)   or
www.colophon.com/ediblebooks/photos.html

A CONSUMING PASSION FOR  BOOKS
Book artists see the book as an art form. They share a passion  for
books in every possible medium of artistic expression, from  painting
and drawing to sculpting and bookbinding.

The Los Angeles  Book Arts Center (LABAC) is dedicated to serving as a
creative, intellectual  and technical resource for artists, collectors,
dealers, curators and  individuals interested in the book and paper
arts. The nonprofit Center’s  mission is to help build a strong book
arts community in the Los Angeles area  by offering exhibitions,
lectures, classes, meetings and continuous online  discussion groups.
LABAC offers a broad range of classes in the book arts,  drawing and
calligraphy, paste papers and monoprints, book structures, cases  and
boxes, and everything between and beyond. For more information,  call
310-657-2616, or check out the LABAC Web site at  www.LABookArts.com.