Re: [BKARTS] Gluing (Layering) boards to prevent warpage

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Minter" <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Gluing (Layering) boards to prevent warpage

On Mar 29, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Venditelli, Michelle wrote:

You had me all the way up to the paper wrap....can I just clarify?

I must leave for a business trip and will reply upon my return.
Bill

Since Bill is away on a business trip and I was about to reply to his message on the subject, I will try to respond to Michelle (and everyone on the list who is interested in layering and covering boards without warping. I've noticed that many bookbinding manuals neglect to mention ''w rapping " the boards.
any years ago, I learned the technique as described by Laurence Town in his BOOKBINDING BY HAND, pp138-142. These instructions are for lining up boards for a full leather binding.

Edith Diehl describes lining up boards ( wrapping) in Bookbinding, its background and technique, Vol. Two, pp 102-108. Other books in my library also mention lining up boards but I don't have time now to search them.

Years ago, when I was making new books, rather than restoring them, I was conscientious about lining up boards to equalize the pull of the cover material and lessen warpage. But I neglected to follow those instructions as time went by and I rarely worked with new boards. As a result, the last book I made warped badly. I'll be preparing boards for 6 new books soon, so I'm going to do as Bill Minter suggested: practice first layering boards with alternating grain, and then, as James Tapley writes in his letter to the List on March 27, gluing the boards in the same direction. Also, I'll watch which surface receives the glue - Bill points out that the core does not get pasted; rather, the glue goes on the next layer pasted to the core. I don't think that's what I've been doing.

Betty