Re: [BKARTS] Japanese Paper for Leather Board Reattachment

Hi Matt and others:

I learned this method as well and I have been using Moriki tissue paper. There is some differences in
opinions about Moriki versus other papers in regards to strength. In the smaller leather bound books, I
found Moriki to work well. However, in some large books I have used Moriki and cambric cloth for
creating the hinges Moriki comes in a number of colors and that is helpful when you die the tissue
to match the leather.

I have done a number of this type of conservation repair with great success so I am pleased with
Moriki at this point.

Hope that helps in some way.

I would be interested to know what others have used and some of their experiences with different
tissue papers.

Anastasia Weigle
www.inabindstudio.com

Matt Joe wrote:

Hello,

I am set for my first attempt at reattaching a leather board from an
antique octavo book (1806). I've reviewed the listserv archives
extensively, and have decided that Don Etherington's japanese paper
technique will be suitable in this situation. I've never worked with
japanese paper before, and don't really know too much about its
properties. I can gather the general technique from previous postings,
but I'm having trouble picking out materials.

(1) What kind of japanese paper should I purchase? I read somewhere
that someone likes Sekishu, but I've found about a dozen types of
Sekishu paper on hiromipaper.com. Is the cheaper Sekishu White (blend
50% Kozu, 50% Sulphite) suitable as well? How do I determine what
paper characteristics I need to match the leather?

(2) The technique entails dyeing the Japanese paper to match my
leather...how do I do this? What types of dyes should I purchase, and
where? Is the proper dyeing process described on the internet or
elsewhere on this listserv?

(3) Finally, the technique recommends a microcrystalline wax to give
the joint a more leathery look. Any recommended brands? Where can I
find such a wax?

I appreciate all responses in advance. I'm new to book repairs. Though
I've made a couple of cloth-bound books from scratch, my real love is
in collecting books. I want to preserve and improve my collection
using some repair techniques.

Matt Joe

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006